In 2008, Nidec established the “CSR Charter,” which stipulates the company’s basic stance for its relations with the society based on the “UN Global Compact” and the “Electric Industry Code of Conduct (EICC).” We established CSR Regulations as detailed rules of the CSR Charter, and incorporated within them human rights- and labor-related articles, such as the one on guaranteeing the freedom to form a labor union and the right to collective bargaining.
- ※ Electronic Industry Code of Conduct (EICC, current Responsible Business Alliance: RBA)
- A code of conduct drawn up by the electronic industry for business activities covering the whole supply chain. The EICC Code of Conduct consists of rules on labor, health and safety, the environment, management system, and ethics.
Nidec Group CSR Charter
With a keen awareness of our responsibilities as a part of society, Nidec Group pursues the common good by offering globally welcomed products and technologies. Nidec’s ultimate objective as a socially responsible business entity is to ensure sustainable growth that generates stable employment. All Nidec directors and employees are required to perform their duties in a sincere and transparent manner with full respect for the spirit of this charter and the importance of corporate social responsibility (CSR).
1. Work Sincerely and Honestly
- We acknowledge the importance of compliance with the laws, regulations, and social requirements of the countries in which we operate, and strive to fulfill our responsibilities based on international standards in a spirit of sincerity and honesty.
- We strive to achieve fair and transparent disclosure of information through dialogue with stakeholders, including shareholders, customers, business partners, and employees, to earn and retain the trust of society.
- In order to enhance the safety, quality, and reliability of our products, we strive to engage in fair business transactions based on transparent and free competition in harmonious cooperation with business partners.
2. Coexist Harmoniously with the Environment
- We recognize that perpetual conservation of the global environment is an issue of common concern for all humanity and we thereby commit ourselves to reduce our environmental burden through environmentally conscious business activities.
3. Respect Human Rights
- We strive to achieve a work environment based on mutual respect for individuality and human rights and free from abusive labor practices, such as forced and child labor.
4. Ensure Occupational Safety and Hygiene
- Based on cooperation between our management and employees, we strive to ensure workplace safety and good health to establish a work environment that brings out the best in each individual.
5. Maintain Good Relations with Society
- We recognize that sustainable corporate growth can only be achieved on a foundation of good relationships and co-prosperity with society.
- We respect the cultures and customs of the countries and regions in which we operate, and strive to participate in social contribution activities for the benefit of local communities.
UN Global Compact
The UN Global Compact is an international initiative that was launched in 2000 by then UN Secretary General Kofi Annan. The compact, intended to secure global sustainable growth, requires its member companies and organizations to support ten principles on human rights, labor, the environment, and anti-corruption, and expects the members to act as good members of the society by demonstrating responsible and creative leadership. The Nidec Group joined the Global Compact and officially expressed its support for the ten principles in August 2015.
The UN Global Compact’s ten principles in four areas